Friday, January 16, 2009

For shame


Dear Friend,

How are you? I hope this finds you well and in good spirits.

I am writing to apologize and express the shame I'm feeling about having missed your special event, (I can barely bring myself to admit it but...) National Letter Writing Week (aka Universal Letter-Writing Week) which, as you know, occurred from January 8 - 14 (according to The Society of Friendship and Goodwill and other reliable sources).

I had so many grandiose plans for you, National Letter Writing Week! I was going to create handmade envelopes with my little person, set aside time for fun (and exciting!) letter-writing activities, talk about my favorite pieces of postal ephemera (to anyone who would listen!), discuss postal history with my family (I can hear them breathing a sigh of relief) and of course, write letters.

[How will you ever forgive me?]

Please know that on a subconscious level I did celebrate by:

- spreading the word about the oldest post office in Toronto (which is also a museum) and in fact, took one of my fellow classmates to see it (and promised a few others a future visit)
- enlightening others about the joys of letter-writing (through lively banter and a discussion about my letter-writing habits!)
- mailing several packages to my Swap Bot partners (for various swaps with 'letter and writing' themes)
- communicating with pen-pals
- opening a new calligraphy set
- swooning over stationery and writing paraphernalia

I guess I should also mention that when I visited the museum for the first time, I rejoiced (at the lovely ephemera, quill pens and fully operating post office on-site) and was even more delighted when my coin purse AND wallet were photographed by the museum's curator. It was an honor, to say the least! (For those of you who aren't aware, my coin purse and wallet resemble a letter and an envelope!). So you see, though my efforts were purely instinctual and subconscious, I was in fact paying homage to your event.

Having said that, I hope you'll forgive me for not publicly announcing the event and let me make it up to you during the National Card & Writing Month, April 1 - May 10, as noted by Chase's Calendar of Events and the United States Postal Service.

Thank you for your time and happy snails. xo

Yours always,

me

No comments: