Monday, August 27, 2007

Bergen

One night during our visit to Bergen, J leaned over and said to me, “This place is magic. No, it really is”.

Ever since we met, my husband told me about this very special place called, Bergen, where his "happy place" was. His voice would often change when he spoke about it... It would soften a bit and he would smile and then, he would speak fervently and passionately about it. His eyes would be lit up the whole time. It wasn't until I visited that I finally understood what all of the theatrics were about.

Bergen was (and is) amazing... From the incredible landscape (gorgeous mountains and fjords, Mt. Floyen, Ulriken) to the stunning architecture (Bryggen, the Stave Church, the city centre) to the absolutely lovely people. I loved it all and for so many reasons. Our voyage to Bergen (and the surrounding areas) were magical and full of so many wonderful, wonderful memories that won't soon be forgotten. In fact, it was here that I was proposed to and later married the wonderful man that I now share my life with.

I don't think I can adequately summarize how much this place means to me. Perhaps, you'll get a sense of the beauty and the magic through the few photographs I've selected to share... To be certain, you'll just have to visit some day.


J was reunited with his dear friend, H. Their friendship began many years ago while they were both traveling with friends and saw eachother while hanging out their train windows. The rest is history. They've been friends ever since and their lovely story (written by J) was even published in a book of short stories. It was nice to finally meet the legendary H and spend time with her and her family. In fact, the three of us stayed with them and felt spoiled rotten! My favorite part of our days were the evenings when we would gather around the living room table over tea and chocolate... after a vicious game of Pigs. (Have you heard of this game? It's where you roll the two little pigs instead of dice and are scored according to the way they land. Great fun!) Oh yes, and my favorite person on the whole trip was her little person who spoke only Norwegian. His favorite word was, "æsj" (pronounced "aash") which meant "yuck" and he could be heard saying it several times throughout the day.



I miss you, Little æsj!
I loved looking at all of the different signs around Norway. I believe this one was the "Dapper man crossing" sign. Check out the hat!
Fantoft Stave Church was originally built in Fortun in Sogn in 1150 and moved to Fantoft in 1883 and then, burnt down on the 6th of June 1992 (by a Satanist). Fantoft Stave Church has now been rebuilt just as it was before the fire.









This sign must be the "Dapper city worker slash grave digger" sign. Love the hat!
At the top of Mt. Floyen is a troll which is supposed to give you good luck if you kiss it. A bittersweet dilemma for a superstitious germaphobe.
Separated at birth.






No comments: