Thursday, April 5, 2007

Sunshine on a cloudy day

I had such a fantastic day yesterday that I think I need to document it in my blog - just as a reminder for me on those not-so fabulous ones. (Maybe, the little happiness fairies were out-and-about, working their magic yesterday?)

I met for the second time with the volunteer coordinator of a non-profit organization that I'm interested in contributing my time to. The organization is a non-profit, community-based support center offering outreach/education and programs (free of charge) and acts as a link between people with eating disorders and hospital based programs, school, agencies, therapists and families. I love that the organization believes that hope and support as essential for living with dignity and recovery. Their programs embrace empowerment and foster positive choices - something that each of us could benefit from.

Our initial meeting went very well - we had instant rapport (I felt as though I was talking with an old friend). During our meeting, I was surprised to hear myself speak so passionately and freely about the different ideas I had for the center and how I would go about implementing them. I didn't feel as though I was just blurting things out in an effort to impress her but rather, I could actually see myelf working on these projects (and how they might look). The volunteer coordinator was just as excited to hear about my ideas and was eager to share them with her colleagues. During our conversation, she indicated that there was an opportunity for me to facilitate an arts/craft workshop and get paid, if I was interested. ("If"? Shit, I've been waiting to hear that kind of offer for years!). We parted ways but promised to speak in a couple of weeks. I left the center feeling invigorated and excited and hopeful, adjectives that have been missing from my vocabulary with regards to my current work situation. (Oh yes, I also left with two t-shirts - one for me and the other for my little person. How thoughtful was that?!).

Our meeting yesterday proved to be another positive exchange. We met at one of my favorite restaurants close to work (Fresh), accompanied by her very sweet child. I brought samples of my cards to give her an idea of what we might do for a workshop. She actually swooned over them and proceeded to see if she could order 20 cards to use as thank-yous for an upcoming conference she's organizing (for another non-profit org. she works for)! She also mentioned that I might be able to display some cards at a shop run by the org. that is running the conference! (Joy!)

One of my ideas was to create a blog for the organization and provided examples of this. She loved what she read and was anxious to pass this information on to the Director of the center. She then went on to tell me how excited she was that I was joining the organization and informed me that this was a particularly good time, as there might be opportunities beyond volunteering! Again, we parted ways with the promise to be in touch soon.

I walked back to my present job, feeling hopeful, knowing that this walk was only a temporary one.

No comments: