Monday, April 16, 2007

"Brown paper packages tied up with strings..."


"...These are a few of my favorite things..."

I am feeling particularly blah today and needed a bit of cheering up so I thought I would revisit the lyrics to that wonderful little ditty. I just love this song and find it especially uplifting on those not-so inspiring days (like today!). I was reminded of how beautiful the original film was with Julie Andrews and thought I would start the week writing about some of my favorite things...

The Sound of Music is one of my all-time favorites. I never seem to tire of it and can watch it over and over (and over) again. It's one of those "comfort" things, like a nice, warm, hearty soup on a blistery Autumn day or a cup of (lactose-free) hot chocolate after an afternoon of skating or better yet, putting on your favorite pair of sneakers after having your piggies stuffed in a pair of heels (yikes, what a horrible visual). It was also one of the first records I ever bought.

My Favorite Things (lyrics)
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens,
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens,
Brown paper packages tied up with strings,
These are a few of my favorite things.
Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels,
Door bells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles,
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings,
These are a few of my favorite things.
Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes,
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes,
Silver white winters that melt into Springs,
These are a few of my favorite things.
When the dog bites,
When the bee stings,
When I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad.
[Repeat]

Now, wasn't that uplifting? What are a few of your favorite things?

Here are some of mine:
+my family, of course! (I know, this one was too obvious!)
+old friends
+hearing J & H laugh (J has the moist boisterous/genuine laugh while H has the sweetest little laugh)
+hugs
+papers of all kinds (handmade, moonrock, Japanese, rice - I don't discriminate!)
+cupcakes
+my "skinny jeans"
+sunny days
+rainy days (indoors)
+teachers that inspire (that's you, Ms. G!)
+chocolate cake from Fresh on Bloor
+journals (both blank and written in)
+photographs (especially, H's baby photos)
+ephemera (particularly, old postcards, vintage cards/stationery, advertising, magazines)
+vintage children's books and the lovely illustrations within (e.g. the artistry of Kate Greenaway)
+cola bottle gummies
+handwritten letters
+notecards and stationery
+thunderstorms
+Ryan Gosling with facial hair
+rubberstamps
+Apprentice UK and Sir Alan Sugar
+travelling
+inspiring blogs
+lazy days
+fun-filled days
+my green and pink Pumas
+horror flicks
+love letters
+stickers
+music from the 80's
+mint ice-cream


I'll probably add more as the day goes on... (It's made me feel a bit better already!)

Hope you're happy in your own little corner of the world!

PS Highlights of my jaunt in Montreal to follow...

1 comment:

Linda said...

Flowers, for no special reason.