Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Dedicated to Mr. School Bus Driver

Despite being a grey, wet, stay-home-in-your-jammies-with-the-coffee-pot-on-cozied-under-a-blanket-with-a-book kinda day, I was up earlier than normal so that I could catch the bus to the subway station. I usually make the 7-8 min. walk to the station every morning, as I figure it's the only bit of exercise that I can commit to. Anyway, moving on... I secretly hoped that my little friend, Mr. School Bus Driver, would stop and open that narrow yellow door to let me in but it had been quite some time since that happened (and I wasn't sure if we were now considered "estranged").

[To give you a bit of background, our "friendship" began on one of the coldest days of the year. It had snowed relentlessly that night and everything was backed up (public transit, included). Mr. School Bus Driver stopped in front of the little bus shack and let a fleet of us in... And so began our morning rendez-vous...]

I saw the bus coming up the street in the distance. As it inched forward, I thought I saw Mr. School Bus Driver turn his head away from the bus stop. Boo. When -lo' and behold!- he smiled, motioned to me to get in and opened the doors! (Yay, we're still friends!)

We both said our cheery good mornings and settled into a pleasant conversation about the weather (along with another gentleman who jumped on) and how there was construction up the street. We said our goodbyes and I commented on how it was nice to see him. We wished eachother a good day and off I went.

(On a side note: I thought I felt Mr. School Bus Driver reach out to pat my back - in a gentle/friendly (not perverted) way - as I got off the bus. Oh, please, Mr. School Bus Driver, I pray that you aren't just another pig in disguise).

In any case, it was a nice feeling to be the recipient of another person's kindness... In fact, I think I'll "pay it forward", as they say.

Thank you, Mr. School Bus Driver, for extending your kindness to me (and my fellow commuters).

On that note, I'd like to leave you with a quote by that dynamic duo, Peaches and Herb, "Reunited... and it feels so good".



No comments: