Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Promises, promises

When my partner and I first met, he promised me two very special gifts:

1. His family
2. Travel

The gift of his family has materialized over-and-over, time-and-time again - each time we interact, it seems. They are the loveliest bunch I've ever met and are as close as peas in a pod (despite, the fact that one sister lives in Indonesia). They've been incredibly kind to my daughter and I, and have welcomed us with such open arms that it brings tears to my eyes every time I think about it. They are such good people with these big ole hearts... I am so grateful for this gift (and for my very special guy!).

His second promise began to materialize almost immediately after we met. In fact, it began just a couple of short weeks into our relationship when we went on a road-trip to Toronto (my first time visiting!). If you ever want to get to know someone in a short amount of time, hop in a cube van with them and go on a long drive. For us, it confirmed that we were meant to spend the rest of our lives together and that we would eventually move to Toronto... And here we are now!

Another trip included a birthday present to Minneapolis, MN. What a wonderful treat! I think my favorite part was watching a midnight screening of Purple Rain at a theatre (Uptown). I don't know why it surprised me to see the theatre so packed (after all, Prince reigns from Minneapolis) but it was. The most surprising thing of all was how interactive the group was! People were bopping around, reciting lines (verbatim) and yes, sparking up their lighters during those tender moments (remember, Lake Minnetonka?). It was so much fun, as were the rest of the experiences of that trip. I couldn't wait to find out what was next on the agenda!

And here we are now... Anticipating our European vacation this summer (a first for my daughter and I; the fifth for my partner). I cannot wait to immerse myself in the experience! Stockholm, Copenhagen, Oslo, Bergen, Zurich, Luzern, a very short stop-over in London, a day-trip to Milan and who knows what else (my sweetheart is taking control of the planning). Imagine the beautiful pictures to be taken, the spectacular fashions to behold, the stunning landscape and architecture and the lovely people to meet... Oh, I mustn't forget the delicious food we'll sample and the wonderful smells we'll encounter... It's going to truly be a feast for the senses!

Until then, I'll continue to peruse various blogs for stories and pictures as a bit of an appetizer for what's to come...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind words about our family :) Wish I was closer to home to spend more time with all of you!

~L. (Indonesia)