Monday, September 7, 2009

To school


I can't believe it's time to go back to school - for both H and I. The summer just flew by and it seems like only yesterday I was starting my practicum. I have absolutely no complaints about how this summer was spent and am even quite excited about what this fall will bring.

When I was a child, I always loved the whole ritual of buying new clothes and school supplies. Back in the day, my Mom and I would go to Woolco (gosh, that's dating myself now, isn't it?!) to pick up things like Laurentian pencil crayons, a compass and protractor, Hilroy notebooks and paper and those pink gum erasers. I vaguely remember having to try on several pairs of Buster Brown shoes (way back when) and being forced to go to bed horribly early (as if I would be able to suddenly fall asleep after having spent the summer going to bed at grown-up hours).

Now, my little person is going through the same kind of tossing-and-turning I once did. The difference between us is that she's so much more practical and mindful than I was. She didn't feel the need to purchase all brand new, shiny school supplies that I had to have when I was her age. She thought she could recycle a couple of the things she used last year. AND...she felt perfectly fine only getting a few new things to wear as she felt she had enough already. She's such a conscientious and thoughtful person- it brings tears to my eyes.

It's been a long time (many moons, in fact) since I was a student starting classes in September. I always loved the excitement and energy that the start of the school year brought. I can't wait to see what this term will bring.

Wishing all the students going back to school tomorrow a happy day and a wonderful year. Talk soon. xo

1 comment:

RedMcC said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.