Monday, September 28, 2009

Extra long weekend


When I woke up this morning, it was pouring out which made me smile because I had absolutely nowhere to be. Our class schedule this month is really nice because we frequently have extra long weekends with Mondays and Fridays off.

After J & H left the house, I made myself a chai soy latte and settled into my day. I decided to make the most of it by watching movies, baking bread, whipping up some potato salad, doing school work (well, sort of but not really) and as always, spending time on my computer. I felt productive but the pace was really nice and relaxed. Oh yeah, and the onion and "cheese" bread turned out really well. (I've shared the recipe below.) We're going to have some of it tonight with J's homemade split pea soup and kale chips. Can't wait!

I also had a really lovely conversation with someone very special from my hometown. I'm glad that we had the chance to catch up today. She's always so encouraging and such a positive person!

Back to school tomorrow. It's another short week but an exciting one. Lots of things happening.

Hope you had a happy Monday and a nice start to the week! Talk soon. xo
------
No Yeast Bread

4 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tablespoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vinegar
1 1/2 cups water

Directions:

Mix all ingredients in bowl and knead 5 minutes. Shape into a round loaf put cornmeal on the bottom and place on a baking sheet. Put in to preheated 400 degree oven and bake 40 minutes.

Makes: 1 loaf, Preparation time: 10 minutes, Cooking time: 40 minute

(Recipe courtesy of VegWeb)

I think I'm going to use this recipe as a foundation for other loaves. This time, I added 1/2 a package of onion soup mix and shredded some vegan cheese which I folded into the dough. I also brushed the loaf with melted margarine after about 25-30 minutes.

Just a few suggestions: the loaf was a bit dry so feel free to add a bit more liquid. Also, I kneaded the loaf to really mix the ingredients together but I may have kneaded it too much as the bread was a wee bit tough (but still incredibly flavorful and tasty). Enjoy!

No comments: