Thursday, September 3, 2009

Girlfriends


In the past two weeks, I've had visits from two very dear girlfriends. The first visit was very brief but jam-packed with fun including a trip to Anthropologie in Yorkville, two star sightings (Noah Wylie was one of them!) and a nice, long session of drinks, munchies and conversation on a patio.

For the second visit, I was fortunate enough to spend five days getting reacquainted and reconnected with a very special friend that I've written about in the past. M and I went to the same girls' school but really got close during our university years. We could spend hours with each other - chatting, laughing or playing pool. (We often joked around that we hoped to find a male counterpart who was just like the other.) We had a very special connection and one that I've been unable to replicate with another girlfriend. I could always be my crazy and wacky self around her. She just seemed to "get" me. Having M here reminded me of how much I missed spending time with her. It felt like old times and I was happy to see that we "still got it".

We went around Toronto and I introduced M to some of my favorite spots. She also had the chance to meet my husband for the first time and get to know both him and my little person. (Coincidentally, she was the very first person to find out I was expecting! It was in her bathroom that I administered the pregnancy test as we were on our way out to the movies!)

We dropped M off at the airport yesterday afternoon and found a thoughtful card on our kitchen table when we got home. (As if it wasn't enough that she treated us to a wonderful meal before she left and treats during her stay!)

Thanks so much for everything, M! I've missed you!

But oh! The blessing it is to have a friend to whom one can speak fearlessly on any subject; with whom one's deepest as well as one's most foolish thoughts come out simply and safely. Oh, the comfort - the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person - having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all right out, just as they are, chaff and grain together; certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then with the breath of kindness blow the rest away.

(Dinah Craik, A Life for a Life, 1859)

No comments: