Friday, December 19, 2008

Holiday craftin'


This year, I made all of my holiday cards with the help of the little person. We brewed some gingerbread tea and had a plate of assorted cookies to fuel us. It was such a nice way to spend an evening. These are moments that I really cherish.

I love being able to share my passion for paper (and all things crafty) with the little person and encourage her to explore her own creativity. One of the ways I like to do this is by taking her to the many craft fairs/shows that happen during this time of year. It's a great way to get inspiration for projects and admire all of the lovely wares. I'll often ask people about the things they've made and a little bit about themselves (I know, how nosy).

Last week, at the mother of all craft fairs - The City of Craft - we had a chance to meet Tara Bursey, an artist who currently has an installation comprised of hundreds of origami shoes made of jasmine and green tea sleeves called Dirge II at League of Lovers and Theives (1156 Queen Street West). We bought a pair of her lovely little shoes along with a grab bag of her zines which I absolutely loved! The event was jam-packed with people and things to do and see. There were workshops being offered, beautiful things to buy and many people supporting local artisans. It was awesome!

And a couple of weeks ago, I went to a the Book Arts Fair at OCAD which featured items by book artists, printmakers, papermakers, and private press printers available for purchase. Talk about inspiring! I left with plenty of ideas, gifts and some paper goodness for myself. ♥

No comments: