Friday, May 30, 2008

Mmm...

I have the window open and my office has that 'just after the rain' smell. Mmm, I love that smell! It makes me just want to cozy up under a blanket and watch a movie or sit and write letters...

Y'know, I've often wondered if there isn't a job somewhere out there where a person just writes letters all day long. Doesn't that sound lovely? I often think of the days when being a scribe was revered. Apparently, this individual (male) was educated in the arts of writing and belonged to what was known as the 'middle class elite'. They used two types of writing, hieratic and hieroglyphics. In ancient Egypt, 'the task of recording history, expressing everyday and extraordinary happenings was the responsibility of the scribe' (courtesy of Kingtutshop).

Anyway, I've often dreamed of having some kind of job where I could just write letters and find beautiful paper to write on all day. Oh, and let's not forget the writing instruments - those lovely fine point nibs (or would I mix things up and use a gel?). Hmmm, I only wish these were the questions I had to ask myself during a workday! Of course, there would also be special considerations such as adornments - stickers, rubberstamps and handlettering. Why, there might even be any combination of these if I was feeling particularly playful and creative! Heh! Talking about it even makes me excited... the feel of the paper, choosing my weapon of choice and making it all pretty. Of course, it couldn't possibly even be sent out until some little surprises were enclosed. (I often do this for my penpals or any correspondence that I send out to people, really. I like to put bits of paper and maybe, some cool postcards/ad cards with interesting graphic design on it. I might even make a handmade card or throw in a piece of ephemera - if I can part with it, that is!)

Sigh. There has to be something out there that gives me the same rush as letter writing does...

[If you know of something out there, dear friends, please do not hesitate to contact me. I beg of you.]

No comments: