Thursday, March 20, 2008

Garage sale at work!

Today was 'Clean Up Day' at work, followed by goodies and a GARAGE SALE! (Sweet!) As I've mentioned in previous posts, I live strongly by the motto, One person's trash is another person's treasure (much to the chagrin of my husband!). This garage sale was special, though, in that most of the 'trash' happened to be brand new promotional items from sponsors of our organization. I did very well and spent practically nothing (well, less than $8) and came away with some really awesome treats. For starters, I purchased three fishing rods for my posse at home since the little person has mentioned many times how she'd like to go fishing some day. I think this would be a great little adventure for us this summer and now, we've got some sporty pink rods to use! In addition to this, I got a ball cap for the little one to use whilst baiting hooks that says, 'Fisher Girl'. Ohhhh... ("It's all the rage", I was told!)

Unfortunately, I missed out on a Twinkie costume. Boo. I thought it was some kind of tacky yellow blanket or tablecloth. (Sigh).

In any case, I'm discovering that this place has a really strong social committee and the atmosphere appears to be quite congenial. Yesterday, the social committee went around and gave everyone a basket of goodies. We even had a little Easter celebration in the boardroom complete with fancy cupcakes, chocolate and gummies! There was also a very heated game of 'pin the tail on the bunny'. A representative from each department had to wear a bunny eye-mask, spin around and throw a jelly which they hoped would land in the vicinity of the tail. (Side note: Poor bunny was humiliated as his naughty bits seemed to get the most attention!) Winners? Why, our department, of course! Yay! We get a month of sponsored treats (one per week!).

It was great to see such a positive turn-out for both events. Already, this place is a million times better than the art college I was working at. The people are friendly, smile a lot and appear to enjoy working here. Plus, there seems to be incentive for upward mobility which certainly never hurt (in light of all my doomsday drudgery and boohoo-ing about finding fulfilling work). If I have to be in this particular kind of work, it may as well be here. (Coincidentally, this is what one might call a 'pink ghetto' job. For those of you who know where I'm employed, you'll understand what I mean!).

1 comment:

Polly said...

HOORAY!!!

A social committee! I'm sure you'll be running it soon!