Monday, September 10, 2007

Obsessing about the 80's


As per my addictive personality, I should have known that the discovery of Square Pegs and the Modern English video would lead to obsessing about the 80's!

I've always loved 80's... the wonderfully, cheesy fashions; the teen, cult classics that were influential on my (non-existent) love-life; the introduction to MTV; Twisted Sister and all the glam rock bands; passing notes in class; my penpals (that's a whole other entry altogether!); hanging out on my ten-speed; teen magazines (BOP, 17, Rockline); slurpees; baseball games in my jersey with a rock shirt underneath and of course, the candies (Black Bart, Flake, Chews to name a few!).

[What I'd LIKE to forget are those turquoise spandex pants that I wore and thought looked so cool! UGH!]

I began to reminisce about the good ol' days - wearing the Jordache jeans and having feathered hair and all. I thought of all of the movies that came out of the 80's and their legacy. To honor this legacy, I've started gathering some of my favorite flicks to save for a rainy day or to introduce J to. Who knows, maybe we'll even host an 80's retrospective where people will be required to wear 80's garb (including an appropriate hairstyle) and feast on party food like munchies, pic-a-pop, Genie's cake, piggies-in-a-blanket (vegan-style, of course) and a selection of favorite candies.

Here is my partial list of movies, thus far:

- Valley Girl (like, totally!)
- Sixteen Candles
- Karate I, II and III (wax on, wax off)
- St. Elmo's Fire
- The Outsiders (my fave was Ponyboy)
- The Big Chill
- Mask (Cher et al)

[I accidentally deleted Pretty in Pink and deliberately deleted Flashdance. I was kind of disgusted by how misogynistic it was but it certainly does reflect how times have changed with what's allowed in movies. Actually... what am I saying?]

I'm sure there are more that I'll want to add like Breakfast Club, Fast Times at Ridgemont High (yeah, Spicoli!). For now, I'm satisfied with my little collection.

1 comment:

TransientTales said...

OMG! When can we talk about our favourite 80's tv shows? Family Ties, The Cosby Show, FACTS OF LIFE!! Love love LOVE the 80's.