Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Tammy Faye Baker Re-incarnate

I wonder how often this happens to makeup instructors... The discovery that one of their students absolutely bites the big, hairy burrito. Folks, I'm happy to report that it's not me (gosh, at least, I hope it's not) but a fellow classmate (oh, don't you hate the cut-throat world of makeup?). There was one little thing that I wasn't too happy to report about... It was the way that this woman, this so-called aspiring (ass-spiring?) artist, managed to make me look like Tammy Faye's re-incarnate... her South East Asian sista, if you will!

Call it intuition (or just a healthy dose of competition) but I suspected that the whole interaction would be disastrous - right from the start. Things only got worse when she began dipping into the dark brown creme foundation and the orange color corrector (around my eyes no less). I was scared (frightened, really) as she nervously giggled and spooned out obscene amounts of concealer. She was kind enough to ask if I wanted day or evening makeup. "Day", I responded (in what I perceived to be a little more desperate than it should). I'm not sure what her interpretation of "day" was and perhaps, I was to blame for not asking if she was a nocturnal being (in which case, her day would be most people's nights). In any case, it was then that I realized how truly powerful makeup was... It was all sort of humbling... this horrible application of makeup... my face transformed... Lookin' like a crack ho' and all... Humbling, indeed.

So, in keeping with the theme of this entry, I think it fitting to pay my respects by getting my hands on her story, The Eyes of Tammy Faye (makes me kinda shiver just writing it). Here is a description from IMDB of the film honoring that vixen, your makeup guru and mine, Tammy Faye Baker:

"A documentary look, mostly through the eyes of Tammy Faye Bakker Messner, at her rise and fall as a popular televangelist with husband Jim Bakker. Traces their rise: her teen marriage to Jim; their children's TV show (she was a puppeteer and singer), success founding the 700 Club, co-founding the Trinity Broadcast Network, and starting PTL Network; her nondenominational version of Christianity reaching out to all; and, their building of Heritage USA, a theme park. Things fall apart as money woes mount for Heritage and for Jim, as Tammy takes pills, and as Jerry Falwell takes PTL. Jim goes to prison; she remarries, finds herself alone again, yet remains unsinkable."


Amen.

No comments: