Sunday, December 5, 2010

Sketchy


Last night I performed in my first sketch comedy show and I even did a little stand-up routine!  The venue was at a teeny cafe in the neighborhood that has a makeshift stage in the back.  We were joined by a group of young adults that my teacher recently instructed through a film and television acting program.  One of our "troupe" members is a professional musician so there was also live music during the show and funny sound effects added to the acts. 

I was nervous at first but the intimate and cozy crowd was very generous with their applause and laughter which was very encouraging.  It felt good to be up in front of people telling silly stories and acting goofy, though I really do need to develop my characters a bit more next time.  Still, it was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to the next show (yes, that's right...I'm planning to do another!) which will likely be in the New Year.

In the meantime, I've started another class - this time through a school - where I can learn more about the craft.  There won't be a show when the course ends but it'll be fun just meeting new people and stretching my boundaries even more.

No comments: