Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Rainy day


This picture has nothing to do with my post but I find it quite intriguing. As some of you know, I'm afraid of most (if not, all) members of the rodentia family yet like to look at photos and images of them (especially chinchillas and capybaras).

Anyway, it was a rainy day here in Toronto. The perfect kind of day for watching movies and writing letters. Still, I was glad to be at work meeting new clients and chatting with staff. Starting next week, the Employment Counsellors will dedicate one day strictly for drop-in appointments. This isn't to say that there won't be drop-ins any other day but for one day a week, we'll keep our schedules completely open to accommodate them.

Right now, I try to schedule three appointments a day. Of course, this can always change on a dime as people don't show up or they show up late or still, others wander in and squeeze their names next to your free time slots. It's very dynamic and I really love it. Part of my work also includes helping out with the ERC (Employment Resource Centre) which is manned primarily by the Employment Consultants but sometimes it gets so crazy busy that we all just pitch in when needed. I love it! The days go by so fast and you really feel like you've earned your pay, not to mention, did something meaningful that day.

It's such a privilege to hear the clients' stories and some of them are downright heartbreaking that you just want so desperately to find something that will help the person move forward and get closer to their goals. I love the challenge but still have so much to learn. I'm just happy to be part of the process and meet so many interesting people.

No comments: