Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Wine and cheese


After work I went to Bistro 990 with a friend. What was supposed to be a quick drink turned into a few hours of chatting. Glasses of wine on an empty stomach are never a good idea but to be honest, it was such a nice way to end the day as I really enjoyed the lively and candid conversation. After we made a pit stop at the grocery store for Finn Crisps and cheese, we parted ways and I headed to the subway.

For anyone who's ever accused Torontonians of being unfriendly busy-bodies, I wish they had witnessed all of the friendly and lively interactions going on between complete strangers in the subway car tonight. Okay, maybe it was the buzz I was experiencing or perhaps there's a full moon out but seriously, there seemed to be so much good energy circulating about in the car tonight. I couldn't help smiling to myself as I observed.

I watched a youngster give his seat up for an elderly woman who then began chatting with his mother for the length of the subway ride, smiles being exchanged between strangers (and not in a lecherous or violating way), people making space for others to squeeze into the busy subway car and a visually-impaired man carrying on with a young woman who had shared her seat with him (actually, so it was a tad bit creepy upon closer inspection but still). I felt really happy to be part of the city and was basking in all of the love tonight.

[I blame the wine for this corny missive.]

As the effects of my buzz wane and fatigue sets in, I find myself reflecting on the bigger picture. I feel like I'm in a good place right now and I'm meeting all of these wonderful people. And even though I'm on the verge of possibly being laid off (more details to follow) and there's so much uncertainty up ahead, I still feel so hopeful that I'm heading in the right direction...wherever that takes me. Of course, this isn't to say that I'll wander about aimlessly without regard or some sort of contingency plan but I'm keeping myself open to what lies ahead because ultimately, I know it'll all work out in the end. It always does. This I know for sure.

No comments: