Sunday, June 14, 2009

Pif, Paf, Poof

I saw the most heartbreaking and beautiful film tonight. Watching the trailer just now nearly put me to tears.

Everlasting Moments is set in the early 1900's and is about ''a woman who experiences an artistic awakening after being introduced to photography" (source: Rotten Tomatoes). The film revolves around a complex protagonist, Maria Larsson, and her many roles as a mother, an abused wife and a woman living in times governed by strict gender-based norms. The story is both harrowing and liberating as she goes on a journey of self-discovery seen through the lens of her camera. It moved me in such a profound way that it was difficult to rewatch the trailer as I relived moments from the film.

[I realize that my description is extremely vague but I don't want to give away any spoilers about the movie or take anything away from your viewing experience.]

The movie is by 77 year-old director Jan Troell and is based on real events in the life of Troell's wife's grandmother. It's an amazing story about friendship, love, heartache, tradition, family and violence which Troell captures beautifully. If you get the chance to see it, please do. It's somewhat of a masterpiece.

Here's a sneak peek.

2 comments:

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

Ooh, you watched a Swedish film!
I haven't seen it yet - I had NO idea it involved photography!!!

Ima Ventriloquist said...

I hope you get to see it! It's a beautiful film with such a powerful story. And listening to Swedish is also a wonderful thing! :)