Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Home again


I can't believe it's been a week since I last posted. I had so many good intentions of documenting my way through Winnipeg (pictured above, circa 1953) which is where I've been for the past week but unfortunately, I found myself in bed for most of the trip. (If you can believe, there were even days that I didn't log onto my computer! The horrors!) Fortunately, I was still able to squeeze in some quality time with family and a few good friends.

One of those visits was with a wonderful friend I had spent many (many) days with in my past. It was so great to see her again. I wanted to tell her how much I missed spending time with her and how I wished that we lived in the same city so we could hang around every so often like we used to but didn't want it to get all weird and uncomfortable. Of all the friends I've ever had, she's the one I connected the most with - a special connection that I've yet to recreate with another. We could spend hours laughing on the phone or sitting in the car chatting away or just sipping drinks in a smokey pool hall. It didn't seem to matter as long as we were there together. I'm just glad that we were able to catch up with one another on this trip and laugh like old times. I hope we'll have more opportunities like that in the future.

I also managed to visit a couple of amazing vintage shops (Ruby Slipper and Vintage Glory) that had been recommended to me and found some really lovely antique compacts - the kind that you might see on Mad Men. I plan to photograph and share them here (some day). As well, my sister took me to one of my all-time favorite restaurants (Mondragon) where H & I shared a delicious vegan burrito, some African peanut soup, a pupusa and a slice of scrumptious sweet potato cheesecake with date icing. On the side, I enjoyed a tasty yerba matte latte. Mmm.

Of course, it was nice to be back home enjoying my Mom's cooking and visiting with my lop-eared bunny, Yoyo. I also had fun digging out some old love letters and pictures that had me in stitches. H loved spending time with her grandparents who tried to spoil her silly and was able to play with some old friends in the neighborhood. On Saturday, we had a little party to celebrate my sister's and cousin's birthdays and nibbled on all sorts of goodies from sushi to Indian dishes to crab legs. Needless to say, my clothes are now a wee bit snug (as if they weren't already!).

Sadly, I wasn't able to see everyone I wished to but hopefully, we'll still have the chance to catch up some time soon...

Hope you've been having a nice week. Take care and talk soon. xo

2 comments:

JY said...

I love your writing style! Very captivating. Cheers.

Ima Ventriloquist said...

Thanks so much for the thoughtful comment, JY! :)