Monday, September 6, 2010

So this is camping...

J and I are totally not the camping type. For us, the idea of staying at a hotel and climbing into fresh, cool linens beats the thought of sleeping outdoors in a tent any day. Of course, this might have to do with the fact that I can't imagine even assembling a tent, let alone sleeping in one (I fear that I'll be ripped to shreds by raccoons or bears as I'm fast asleep). However, J thought that it would be a good idea to take H to a campsite and "rough it" because he vaguely remembered camping as a child and thought it would be a good experience for her. As a compromise, we rented a teeny-tiny cabin at a nice little campsite. H brought a friend along on the adventure.


Here were some of the highlights:

Drive-in Theatre
I'm still not convinced that this was a coincidence but J claims that it was. Whatever the case is, we all loved going even if the movie wasn't the greatest (The Sorcerer's Apprentice). We brought all kinds of snacks and drinks with us and cozied up in the car. We put the seats down in the back so the girls could spread out while J and I sat in the front. During intermission, J asked if the girls could have a look at the projector which the projectionist graciously agreed to. I wonder how many times he's been asked this. I'm sure it hasn't been many as we had a very lengthy and descriptive review of the projector including its history and that of the films and reels used (even J thought it went on a bit too long).




Cruising
J took the girls to rent bikes and then booted around the camp. (He's such a fun Dad!)

Swimming
We were so lucky to have the last three hottest days of summer! The girls were thrilled they could go swimming every day and listen to their favorite tunes blaring in the background.

Barbequing
Or rather, learning how to start a barbeque. :) Now that I'm back on meat, I must say that I was thoroughly enjoying the hamburgers and hotdogs on the open grill. We also had some big, fat juicy veggie sausages and barbequed corn. Mmm.

Walking in nature
The girls took us on a tour of places they discovered around the site. It reminded me of when I used to live in Vancouver and go hiking every weekend. (And yes, I really did that when I lived there.)



The Fire Pit
What's camping without a fire?! Of course, we roasted marshmallows and made smores. (Who would've ever thought to roast marshmallows? Genius!) We also took turns adding kindle to the fire and poking it. Good times.



Fishing
H had been asking us to take her fishing during the year so we were excited to learn that we could rent a boat and some rods. J picked up some juicy and feisty nightcrawlers which I placed onto the girls' hooks while J rowed out to the middle of the lake. It was so peaceful as we were the only ones out. It was also really beautiful. The girls didn't end up catching anything but they did get some nibbles on their lines which was just as good for them. H was so happy to go and absolutely loved it. My only regret was not taking any pictures. We were sure the camera would get wet. (Sigh) Next time... :)

Mad Men
We agreed to let H and her friend watch a movie on my computer in the cabin while J and I cozied up in the car to watch Mad Men and Hung on his computer. (Oh, did I mention there was also Wi-Fi at this camp? Heh heh. We really didn't log onto it much but the fact that it was there was quite comforting.)

J, H and I agreed that we would come back again to the little cabin again next year since we all had such fun. And this time, we'll know not to bring so much food and I won't be scared about not having a bathroom in the cabin. :)

2 comments:

Davide Caputo said...

As Jason always says,'If you're not at one with nature, you can't be at one with yourself; it's PHYSICALLY impossible."

Davide Caputo said...

As Jason always says,'If you're not at one with nature, you can't be at one with yourself; it's PHYSICALLY impossible."