Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Dear Grandma...

It seems like ages since I last wrote... So much has happened since the last entry. The most significant event has been the death of my Grandmother who passed away on April 26th at the age of 85. While she had been struggling with Ovarian Cancer, it was pneumonia that eventually took her life.

The three of us went back to Winnipeg on Saturday to spend time with our family, friends and relatives and celebrate her life. On Sunday, a viewing was held from 6pm - midnight at the funeral home. In the chapel of the funeral home, family and friends paid their last respects to my grandmother. She lay in her open casket so peacefully, as if in an extended slumber. My Grandma had many friends, as evidenced by the number of people in attendance. The evening brought many visitors who expressed their sympathy and participated in various prayers and hymns. As per our culture, the food was endless and much of our celebration was fueled by lumpia (vegetarian rolls), shanghai egg rolls, pancit (noodle dish with shrimp and vegetables), various traditional dishes and desserts, and many different beverages.

The evening was bittersweet - sad, due to the occasion yet happy because of the celebration and the comfort our family/relatives found in each other. We shared many stories with one another , mostly, those that kept us in stitches. In many ways, it felt like we were kids again... Laughing uncontrollably with one another, all squeezed together at one table.

At the end of the night, our family gathered together, hand-in-hand, in front of my Grandma, to say our goodbyes. Our final words to her were, "Aloha", as Hawaii was a special place for her, which she visited frequently.

The following day, we gathered again, this time at the church. The service was beautiful as it began with my Uncle's eulogy, a heartfelt tribute to my Grandma and to motherhood, in general. He spoke of her early years as a widow at age 34 and how she struggled to care for five small children. She never remarried, instead, devoted her life to raising five wonderful children, two of whom had predeceased her. Her Great Grandchild had prepared a speech for her, as well. It was a lovely acknowledgment of my Grandma's lifelong commitment to education (she was a teacher) and how she had impacted many people's lives. Even in her twilight years, my Grandma continued to do crossword puzzles and Jumble, and was a voracious reader.

We proceeded to the cemetery where the interment took place. Everyone placed a flower on her coffin before she was buried and said their final goodbyes. Despite my tears, I was comforted by the fact that she was now reunited with my Grandpa and her two children, not to mention many relatives and friends that passed long before her.

After the reception, we went back to my parents home and pored over dozens of meticulously organized photo albums. My Grandma had documented and labelled almost every photograph with the dates and little blurbs. Photographs were dated as far back as her childhood and it was amazing to see the richness of her life unfold on those pages. We all had a great time sifting through the photographs and keeping those that were special to us. The pictures from the eighties were the most provocative and elicited the most discussion (and laughter). We were in tears (from laughing so hard!) as we looked at pictures of my cousin during his long-haired, glam-rock days with tight jeans and all the cousins with their teased out hair and painted faces. We recalled days spent at my Grandma's house where we chased dragonflies by the creek and admired photos of their over-sized cat affectionatedly named, Brawler, who guarded the front door where he sat on a kitchen chair. There were even pictures of my Grandpa that my Dad had never seen. It was a wonderful way to celebrate my Grandma's life through her eyes.

"Grandma, thank you for everything, especially the lessons you taught me in strength and in love. You struggled to raise your five children as a single-mother but did so with such integrity and success, and continued to thrive despite being in a new country with all of the new challenges that came along with it.

I'll treasure all the times we had together, especially those as a child when we would watch Lawrence Welk and listen to thunderstorms. I'll never forget the day you introduced me to that quirky little culinary delight - condensed milk sandwiches - and the times we spent in your house with all of the cousins. I'm glad that you were able to spend time with my your Great Granddaughter (my daughter) and happy that you were able to meet the person I'm going to spend the rest of my life with.

You are home now with your husband, daughter and son, and your sister. Enjoy this new life with family and friends that you have missed for years. I'll see you again some day. Until then, I'll miss you and love you very much."

No comments: